21st Sep, 2019

Bromsgrove beaten by late Peterborough surge

Craig Gibbons 22nd Mar, 2016 Updated: 17th Oct, 2016

BROMSGROVE succumbed to their fourth straight league defeat after being narrowly beaten 20-17 by a resilient Peterborough Lions side.

Despite having a 17-13 lead with only five minutes to go, the Boars could not hold out as the Lions touched down to break their hearts, a result which sees the Boars drop to eighth in the National Three Midlands table with three games remaining.

Played in dry conditions and on a firm surface, Bromsgrove started the brighter of the two sides but it was the Lions who got the first score of the game on 15 minutes when Henderson converted a penalty to make it 3-0.

The Lions increased their advantage when Ben Taylor charged down a Boars kick on thee 22-yard line allowing him to score out wide to make it 8-0 with the following conversion missed.

This galvanised Bromsgrove into action and moved to within one point of the Lions when Bromsgrove kicked to the corner, won the resulting line-out before Liam Marshall bundled over the line, with the ever-reliable James Upton kicking the extras.

From the restart, Bromsgrove’s Tom Millen was sent to the touchline for 10 minutes following an illegal interference but this didn’t phase the Boars as from a line-out, Gino Belmonte sneaked around the blindside and touched down, with Upton converting to make it 14-8 after 35 minutes.

Following the interval, the Lions worked themselves back into the game and reduced the deficit to one point when Chris Cutts got a try in the Boars corner but the following conversion was missed.

After Crooks was sent to the sin bin, the Boars failed to capitalise on the extra man advantage as Tom Hunt saw two opportunities to increase the lead thwarted by a resilient Lions defence to keep the score at 14-13 after 55 minutes.

The Boars were awarded a penalty in the 68th minute and Upton duly converted to take the score to 17-13 and set up an exciting finish.

Bromsgrove continued to find the score that would kill the game off but when Horton’s kick bounced unkindly in the Lions area, the chance eluded them.

Disaster struck five minutes from the end when Bromsgrove conceded a penalty which allowed De lay Ray Veenendaal to touch down in the right hand corner with the conversion kicked with ease to make it 20-17 to the Lions.

Despite a late Bromsgrove onslaught, the Lions held out for a dramatic victory at Finstall Park.

Bromsgrove now have a week off before making the trip to Sandbach on Saturday, April 2.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Bromsgrove Standard

Book an Advert

Book your newspaper advert with our online advert creation tool


Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website

Digital Advertising

Advertise on the Bromsgrove Standard to boost your online presence