BROMSGROVE author and historian Jennie McGregor-Smith has released her latest book ‘The Story of Finstall: The 1640s to the 1940s’, writes Demi Andrews.
It charts the rise of the Finstall from a hamlet in the 17th century to the village we know today.
The area grew as more and more wealthy businessmen took over the farms.
The farmland changed and their farmhouses became ‘gentlemen’s properties’, as the incomers such as Arthur Albright from Birmingham and Richard Brettell from Stourbridge bought up more land.
In the book, there are chapters on the histories of The Oakalls, Rigby Hall, Grimley Hall and Dusthouse Lane.
The Cross Inn, which was selling ale from the 18th century, and the Village Hall built in 1904, are still at the centre of the Finstall.
There was a nationally known Stud Farm where racehorses were bred for William Everitt and later, heavier farm horses were bred for John Boultbee Brooks.
‘The Story of Finstall: The 1640s to the 1940s’, published by Brewin Books, was launched at The Cross.
Jennie wrote ‘From Bromsgrove to Aston Fields’ back in 2008.