By Tristan Harris Thursday 28 February 2013 Updated: 04/03 09:09
A COUPLE and their dog had a lucky escape when their Hagley home caught fire in the early hours of Tuesday morning (February 26).
The pair were asleep in bed in their bungalow in Park Street and, after being awoken by the smell of smoke and the crackle of flames, they quickly got themselves out before calling the fire service.
There was a smoke alarm at the property, but there were no batteries in it.
Two fire crews from Kidderminster went to the scene and the blaze, which was in the garage, was quickly extinguished.
Thermal imaging equipment was used to ensure the fire had not spread and crews also used fans to clear the smoke from the property.
A desk and computer screen were destroyed in the fire and there was extensive damage throughout the bungalow, especially in the kitchen.
Crew Commander Neil Bennett from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS), said: “It is extremely fortunate the couple awoke when they did as the outcome of this incident could have been devastating otherwise.”
He added it should serve as a reminder to others that all properties should be fitted with smoke alarms, batteries should never be left out and they should be tested on a weekly basis to ensure they are working properly.
STAFF at Thomas Cook in Bromsgrove and Northfield
BROMSGROVE'S Asda store has fitted coin mechanisms on
THE DISTRICT council is set to write off
YOUNG bookworms from across the county will soon
A SIXTH man has been arrested as part of the ...
THE case against a retired police officer charged with the ...
ONE OF Worcester's most historic buildings has been brought back ...