Woman and baby rescued after Charford flat fire

By Tristan Harris Friday 01 March 2013 Updated: 01/03 13:00

A WOMAN and a baby were rescued from a house in Charford yesterday afternoon (Thursday) after a fire, caused by an electric cooker, broke out.

The pair were treated for smoke inhilation after the incident, which happened at just before 2pm at the property in Lyttleton Avenue.

Two fire crews from Bromsgrove and one from Redditch went to the scene where the fire had already been put out.

Firefighters used ventilation equipment to clear the smoke from the flat and called at neighbouring properties to offer home fire safety advice.

It is believed some clothing left near the cooker caused the blaze.

Watch Commander Darren Packwood from HWFRS said it was lucky no one seriously injured and no major damage was caused.

"Nevertheless kitchen fires do have the potential for devastating consequences and so we would like people to take note of this incident and to be extra vigilant themselves in the kitchen, ensuring that cookers are turned off after use and that all flammable items are kept well away from the stove.”

He also reminded people to ensure that they have smoke alarms fitted on every floor of their homes and to test the alarms are working on a regular basis.

Share This

Regional news »


Redditch Standard
Fears for Redditch patients after Worcester meltdown

CAMPAIGNERS fighting to save services at the Alexandra Hospital have ...

Stratford Observer
District council hands over £2,215 of travel tokens to charity

STRATFORD District Council has handed over £2,215 worth of unused ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Looking good for award

A UNIQUE scheme to brighten up the ground floor of ...