Couple escape blaze at Hagley home where smoke alarm had no batteries

By Tristan Harris Thursday 28 February 2013 Updated: 28/02 16:40

A COUPLE and their dog had a lucky escape when their Hagley home caught fire in the early hours of Tuesday morning (February 26).

The pair were asleep in bed in their bungalow in Park Street and, after being awoken by the smell of smoke and the crackle of flames, they quickly got themselves out before calling the fire service.

There was a smoke alarm at the property, but there were no batteries in it.

Two fire crews from Kidderminster went to the scene and the blaze, which was in the garage, was quickly extinguished.

Thermal imaging equipment was used to ensure the fire had not spread and crews also used fans to clear the smoke from the property.

A desk and computer screen were destroyed in the fire and there was extensive damage throughout the bungalow, especially in the kitchen.

Crew Commander Neil Bennett from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service (HWFRS), said: “It is extremely fortunate the couple awoke when they did as the outcome of this incident could have been devastating otherwise.”

He added it should serve as a reminder to others that all properties should be fitted with smoke alarms, batteries should never be left out and they should be tested on a weekly basis to ensure they are working properly.

Share This

Regional news »


Redditch Standard
Family of missing Hollywood woman make emotional appeal for help

THE FAMILY of Hollywood woman Eve Cullen, who has now ...

Stratford Observer
Global Gathering reveller dies

POLICE are investigating the death of a 20 year-old man ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Jack’s charged with a top job

A BROADWAY electrical firm has added a bright spark to ...

Local Businesses More Businesses »