Rouslers are held by Atherstone

By Jamie Arrowsmith Thursday 17 January 2013 Updated: 24/01 16:29

Latest News

Buy photos » Chris Morrison wins the header. Picture by Andre Roberts.

Bromsgrove Sporting 2

Atherstone Town 2

Midland Combination Premier Division

SPORTING had to settle for a point against third placed Atherstone Town on Saturday despite taking the lead on two occasions.

The Rouslers, who continue to top the table but have played a considerable amount of games more than many of the sides below them, will have been disappointed not to secure all three points having twice got their noses in front with Atherstone equalising for a second time with 11 minutes left.

Andy Nicol had the first real chance of the game but saw his shot turned behind by Atherstone keeper Robert Dolman whilst Elliot Nash fired over six minutes later.

Lawrence O’Neill created Athertsone’s first chance of the afternoon but failed to hit the target before the visitors were dealt a setback when defender Stephen Sadler was stretchered off with a knee injury.

Things went from bad to worse for Atherstone when Sporting took a 34th minute lead through Chris Morrison, the striker reacting well to head into an empty net after a poor clearance from Dolman.

The lead lasted just six minutes though as Matt Ross was penalised for a foul on O’Neill in the box and Ashley Wilks made no mistake from the spot.

Sporting got their noses ahead for a second time five minutes into the second half when Nicol fired across Dolman and into the top corner but Chris Sockett’s stunning free kick in the 79th minute restored parity once more.

Both sides had good chances to take all three points with Sporting being thwarted by the woodwork and Atherstone being denied by an outstanding save from Tom Savage.

Sporting are due to entertain Littleton in the Smedley Crooke Trophy tomorrow (3pm).

THE Reserves moved into the last four of the Evesham Hospital (Minor) Cup with a 2-1 victory over Droitwich Spa Reserves at King George Fields.

Spa opened the scoring ten minutes before half time and Sporting had to wait until the 75th minute to draw level, doing so through Matt Wilkes to set up extra time.

The winning goal came from the penalty with Joe Brookes the man to convert.

Weather permitting, the Reserves travel to Racing Club Warwick tomorrow.

Latest News

Buy photos» Andy Nicol lets fly. Picture by Andre Roberts.

Latest News

Buy photos» Matt Ross is denied by the keeper. Picture by Andre Roberts.

Share This

Popular »

1 Hospital rally gets a lift from sponsor

2 Bromsgrove and Droitwich roads set for 4million resurfacing

3 Bromsgrove candidates put on the spot with top ten questions

4 Candidates named for Bromsgrove District Council local elections

5 Vandals wreck new bicycle stand in Rubery

More sport »

Motorbikes: Sponsorship deal is extended

FOLLOWING a successful partnership over the final three

Basketball: Bears shine to overcome Wildcats

BROMSGROVE Bears women’s team secured a 67-51 Division

Arenacross: Abbie gears up for a return to action

DAREDEVIL youngster Abbie Chambers is set to make

Rugby Union: Bromsgrove fail to build on victory

Bromsgrove 3 Leicester Lions 30 National Two North

Regional sport »