Father killed himself in Barnt Green after losing his job

By Sarah Beard 18/04 Updated: 23/04 16:48

A FATHER killed himself by standing in front of a train at Barnt Green Station, after he lost his job and felt he could no longer support his family, an inquest heard.

Richard Evans, 55, died from multiple injuries after standing in front of train with his daughter's teddy bear inside his jacket.

The jury of five men and four women heard witness statements from his wife Carol Evans, his GP and from the train driver who was said to have been left 'traumatised' by the incident.

Mr Evans who had become unemployed, was applying for jobs everyday his wife told, but in December 2011, she noticed he was 'not doing very well'. And, after two unexplained outings, Mr Evans admitted to his wife he had twice visited Bromsgrove Train Station - the first time with the idea of suicide in his head and the second time, because he realised what 'a stupid thing it would have been to do' and he went to imagine what it would have been like.

Following the admission, Mrs Evans arranged for her husband to speak to GP, Dr Simon Parkinson, a partner at the practice where she was a receptionist. The inquest heard how he spoke with Mr Evans for around half an hour, prescribed him an anti-depressant and offered him counselling, which he said he would think about. Mr Evans then arranged an appointment for the following week, where Dr Parkinson diagnosed mild-depression and did not consider him at risk of self-harm.

After the consultation, his wife reported to Dr Parkinson her husband 'seemed to be doing better'.

But, on February 3, Mr Evans, from Redditch, was hit by the 9.07am Manchester to Bristol Temple Meads train as it passed through Barnt Green. Mrs Evans said he had seemed his 'usual, normal self' when he got up early and made their daughter breakfast, but he left the house without locking the door, which was very 'unusual'.

She said: "He loved our family, if he had been in his right mind, he would never have done it."

Mr Evans' cousin, Jonathan Andrews, was at the inquest and said he knew him to be the most considerate man he had ever known and his actions showed 'the extremity of his condition'.

Mr Andrews expressed the family's sorrow for the distress caused to the other people involved in the incident.

Mr Evans' 83-year-old father, was also present and he asked for the address of the train driver so he could write to him.

Following the hearing, the jury returned the verdict that Mr Evans killed himself.

Regional news »

Redditch Standard
Fears for Redditch patients after Worcester meltdown

CAMPAIGNERS fighting to save services at the Alexandra Hospital have ...

Stratford Observer
District council hands over £2,215 of travel tokens to charity

STRATFORD District Council has handed over £2,215 worth of unused ...

Worcester Observer

Visit the Worcester Observer website for the latest.

Evesham Observer
Looking good for award

A UNIQUE scheme to brighten up the ground floor of ...

Business Directory »

See your advert here »